At Edney Primary School, the health and wellbeing of our students, staff and overall school community is of upmost importance.
Embedded within our Business Plan, wellbeing is a key priority area for our teaching and learning programs, as well as the development and maintenance of the school’s culture.
Teacher programming and reporting aligns to the West Australian Curriculum requirements for Personal, Social and Community Health. Within this they teach 3 sub-contexts including:
- Being Healthy, Safe and Active
- Communicating & Interacting for Health & Wellbeing
- Contributing to Healthy & Active Communities
As part of the Health Curriculum, students from Edney Primary School will be completing a unit of study set by the Department of Education, called Protective Behaviours.
Protective Behaviours is an internationally acclaimed personal safety and child abuse prevention program endorsed by the Department of Education in Western Australia.
The program involves a series of age-appropriate lessons where students discuss their right to feel safe, and actions they can take to avoid possible unsafe situations. Teaching preventative strategies is a proactive way to strengthen children’s ability to keep themselves safe and minimise risk.
Each year level’s learning tasks differ slightly but are based around the same two central themes:
- We have the right to feel safe at all times.
- We can talk with someone about anything no matter what it is.
Friendly Schools is an internationally recognised, whole school initiative that helps reduce bullying and ensures that each child feels safe at school. It is an evidence-based program that has been developed in Australia.
The Friendly Schools Plus program is designed to explicitly teach Social and Emotional skills in five key areas:
- Self-awareness skills – Students will learn to recognise and understand their feelings and value their strengths and abilities.
- Self-management skills – Students will learn to manage their emotions in appropriate ways and learn strategies to develop resilience.
- Social awareness skills – Students will learn to identify and be respectful of the feelings and perspectives of others
- Relationship skills – Students will learn to make and maintain friendships and deal positively with conflict.
- Social decision-making skills – Students will learn to consider the consequences of their actions and make thoughtful, effective decisions.
For more information about the Friendly Schools Plus program please speak to your child’s classroom teacher or see http://friendlyschools.com.au
Edney Primary School also endeavours to form responsible and safe online citizens by emphasising online cyber safe practises. The school values of Respect and Excellence are also heavily embedded in the school culture.
Edney Primary School is a SunSmart school. For further information please refer to our SunSmart Policy. In 2023 we are working towards being a Crunch N Sip certified school.
Furthermore, throughout the year numerous health-related calendar events are recognised such as Harmony Day and RUOK? Day.